3. Ability Overview
4. AMP Overview
5. Stat Prioritization
6. Rune Sets
7. Builds
8. General Advice
9. Changelog

Overview:

Engi Tanks are a ranged tank with high burst threat from their RM4 and threatsteal from Code red. Their ranged allows easier movement of bosses, with the downside of having no cheat death passive until GA Class rune set (which still isn't as good as the other two). Engineer tanks use their long cooldown high mit abilities (PDU and innate) for primary survival, while glancing and just having high armor for the rest.

Engineers have the most flexible LAS in terms of tanking because their t4/t8s are pretty balanced, and few are absolutely mandatory.

Engi tanks got hurt the least with f2p patch primarily because they're used to being paper :D

Introduction:

While not really a sloth, Mcherios Miss Daisy aspires to be one by sleeping 20 hours a day and raiding the other 4. His interests include sleeping, dozing around, penguin spirit animals, and eating all the foods. If you have specific questions, feel free to message me, Its McheriosMiss Daisy, in game anytime.

Yes, it looks like my medic guide, sue me for plagirism see what I do about it. Miss Daisy is my Engi alt whom I thought was significantly more fun to theorycraft for.

Medic Engineer Tank Ability Overview:

Support Abilities:

(Ordered from Essential to Niche)

Particle Ejector: T8 is amazing threat, but T4 is the min. required for tanking. Primary spender.

Ricochet: T8 for the 10% damage reduction, your primary builder. Drop this down to T4 if you don't need survivability and need other points. T4 Ricochet T8 Particle ejector is more threat, T8 Rico and T4 Particle Ejector is more survivability.

Hyper Wave: Your low CD Intimidate (matches threat)

Unsteady Miasma: Helpful for survivability and spending excess Vol. T4 is used for extending moo's (notably for Maelstrom and Convergence)

Honorable mention: Feedback:Base is decent for threat, t8 is niche if you're having real survivability issues (and have a decent glance chance). Overall not really ran

Honorable mention:Bruiserbot: Only really an interrupt now, keeps you company so its nice (RIP rock golem, you will be missed)

Honorable mention: Disruptive Module: Can be used as an alternative for Ricochet, CAN be used at base making it appealing, but overall mitigation > shield healing. The t4 gives shield mitigation which is something you don't want.

Utility Abilities:

Volatile injection: Mandatory, always base it.

Personal Defense Unity (PDU): Prime source of mitigation, you always T4 it and T8 if you need to have the extra survivability.

Code Red: Soft taunt (Holds threat for 6 seconds) and steals 25% of threat from two guys near you for the duration. Reduces damage on everyone else in the raid for 6s, making it useful. Code red T4 makes it 8s (and reduced damage/increased threat steal per tier) which is even more coolio.

Recursive Matrix (RM): Typically T4'd for the absorb and huge threat generation, I personally think its suitable for base because its a raid buff for 5% deflect for 10s (20s because it randomly refreshes)

Zap: Primary stun, typically taken if most dungeon and early raiding scenarios

Obstruct Vision: Secondary stun (probably a little worse than bruiser bot for stun #2)

Honorable mention: Repairbot: Shield healing is meh overall, repairbot just does more of that

Ability Sets Overview:

Some quick Ability Set loadouts you can run (If empty ability, you can add whichever optional abilities you need for the scenario)

Dungeon Builds assume non maxed ability points, Raid Builds assume maxed ability points.

Basic Loadout:

Dungeon Build (Full Interrupts)

Raid Build (Can remove Code Red and UM)

AMP Overview:

► Show Spoiler

Stat Prioritization:

Itemization has completely been revamped, so I'll be explaining the core changes, and proceeding to go into stat prioritization.

Tank prioritization is iffy, and this patch completely changed it. Armor scales slightly differently (still best for mitigation), Health runes now provide a substantial amount of health per rune (making it roughly equal to armor in terms of mitigation), Glance is a thing (something that Engi's use, just not stack)

Crit mit to Cap > Armor = Health > Glance >>> Deflect >>>>>>> Reflect

Crit mitigation is crucial to hit cap, you don't want to be taking unnecessary damage 20% of the time.

Thanks to CRB Tyrius, the Critical Mitigation values you need for each stage:
- Avatus:82%
- Maelstrom Authority (bosses pre-pairs): 79.2%
- X89: 60.36%
- Veteran Dungeons: 48.17%

Its hard to raw stack armor without giving up several rune sets, so you want a healthy mix of Armor and Health. Health provides more EHP in end tiers of the game, but you want armor moreso because you preventing damage is more beneficial than tanking more damage for the healers to heal up.

Glance is an ok stat, but as an engineer you get free glance from amps and VI, causing you to hit DR easily. More importantly, you cannot rely on glance as mitigation because there WILL be a string of 10 attacks you wont glance on, so your sure-shot armor/health mitigation is strictly better.

Deflect scales poorly, and engi's have nothing that benefits from deflects, so don't bother runeing into it.

NOTES. Low mitigation shield (25% mitigation and 2.69 reboot) is the best shield for tanks. It has a solid shield, and it will cause a good mixture of damage to shield and health without overburdening your healers (since the bulk of their heals are health and not shield) and a GREAT reboot time.

Rune Sets:

SUPER IMPORTANT YOU READ THIS BEFORE BLINDLY RUNEING YOUR STUFF

You're going to be tempted to rune for Strikethrough or Multi hit in your rune sets, but don't. Its better to go 3 majors 2 minors for class rune sets than get a non-mitigation rune. Rune values are huge this patch, don't waste it on bad stats.

Fusions are a tricky subject, but the listed ones are most optimal for most raid scenarios. Quick Feet is too OP not to have, tanks need to move bosses around a lot so its absolutely necessary.

Weapon, there is no listed rune but Siphon and Venom can be used (as well as Mordachai's and Stormtalons) for extra threat if needed

WEE WOO WEE WOO WAIT. Rune sets apply ONLY in one piece of gear (so if you have 1 alleviation rune in helm and boots, you will only have 1/6 in helm and 1/6 in boots) WEE WOO WEE WOO PROCEED

BASE RUNE SETS (Using exceptionals)

So overall, alleviation is the main rune set for tanks this patch. Defiance is the armor/glance rune set, which is our secondary rune set we go for. As you can see, some alleviation use a combination of all three Armor/Health/Crit Mit, while some use Armor/Health/Armor. You want to rune specifically for your gear, and how much Crit Mit you actually need. If you need more Crit Mitigation by a lot, remove one of the armor (1)s and put in a Crit Mitigation (2). The 6 piece alleviation bonus is a huge Crit Mit increase, but if you find you do not need it then you can forgo it for the armor (1) combination as I've listed.

Note; This rune set build leans more towards health than it does armor. Health at this point is more EHP than armor is, but armor is overall the stronger stat. However, there isn't enough of a gap in health that your healers cannot keep up, so the minimal health over armor preference isn't a factor.

FULL RUNE SETS

Same notes as previous set, your GA class set is significantly more important than DS, I'd suggest prioritizing your rune set just after the stalker dps set if you're in a progression raid and wondering who to rune up next. Cheat death and a damage reduction is too strong to pass up progressing.

General Rotation

- Start off each fight with Vol Injection, Richocet (instant cast if you can) then PE while trying to keep UM uptime without falling below the zone.
-If you have shifty DPS, you can open with a code red or hyper wave, giving you a small buffer time to generate threat (Code red first if you can't seem to hold aggro after the initial taunt wears off, so you're able to hyper wave and match top threat anyway)
- RM4 generates HUGE amounts of burst threat, which can also be used in your opener if you're by 4+ people (its a big range
- Manage your health, use your mitigation cooldowns to survive. PDU->Innate->PDU is typically the order you want to burn your cooldowns (obviously not immediately back to back of each other)
- Typically if you need to move a boss, you roll first to gain distance and sprint (or use energy auger woo). Quick feet comes in handy here.
- Always try to stay in the zone, and once you have your GA class set try to keep the damage debuff up with richochet on the boss

General Advice:

► Show Spoiler

Changelog:

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Mcherios on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its Mcherios
Miss Daisy
Its McFruityPebbles
Not Cherios

issamo
newb

Re: Engi Tank Guide [Drop 6]

Postby issamo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:46 pm

hi
if you can give me all stat (defensive) and hor cap withe % need for donjon and for raid ???

Mcherios
that guy

Postby Mcherios » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:38 pm

issamo wrote:hi
if you can give me all stat (defensive) and hor cap withe % need for donjon and for raid ???

I've already highlighted the crit mit caps for each stage in my guide previously. If you rune for armor and health correctly, you should have enough defensive stats for what ever content you're doing.

Here is CK's spreadsheet on stat soft caps. Hard caps are negligable, since you're not going to reach them realistically.

► Show Spoiler
Its Mcherios
Miss Daisy
Its McFruityPebbles
Not Cherios

issamo
newb

Postby issamo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:32 am

but i have low iteme lvl (72) and i try to do donjon veteron. if you can tell me your idvace for i can tank easy .
wate i need to focus first on stat ??
also have 60% crit Miti

Mcherios
that guy

Postby Mcherios » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:42 am

issamo wrote:but i have low iteme lvl (72) and i try to do donjon veteron. if you can tell me your idvace for i can tank easy .
wate i need to focus first on stat ??
also have 60% crit Miti

Always focus on armor and health when trying to survive, your base gear and abilities are enough to hold aggro
Its Mcherios
Miss Daisy
Its McFruityPebbles
Not Cherios

issamo
newb

Postby issamo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

if you can tell me how mush i need on armor and health on donjon and raid ??
be cause befor that drop 6 i see ppl tank boss X89 on GA juste withe 37k health :!: :?:

Mcherios
that guy

Postby Mcherios » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:13 pm

issamo wrote:if you can tell me how mush i need on armor and health on donjon and raid ??
be cause befor that drop 6 i see ppl tank boss X89 on GA juste withe 37k health :!: :?:

As much as possible. As I've explained, threat isn't an issue so theres no reason to rune for anything aside from Health/Armor/Crit Mit. There is no "set number" especially since this system is new. I can only tell you to be properly geared for the content, and rune correctly, and you'll be fine.

Before drop 6 all characters had less health and more Mit, so its irrelevant.
Its Mcherios
Miss Daisy
Its McFruityPebbles
Not Cherios

TranquilityX
newb

Postby TranquilityX » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:45 am

Hello there, I am fairly new to wildstar, hit 50 a few weeks back, and read this guide.
I have a question about Runes specifically the Quick Feet, Enrage and Mountain fusion runes. They can only be bought with Rune Tokens and since F2P hit I have read you cannot get tokens anymore
Are there anyway to actually buy/farm tokens or craft these runes? Or can we use any alternative runes for these slots?
Thank you in Advance.

JohJoh
that guy

Postby JohJoh » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:32 pm

TranquilityX wrote:Are there anyway to actually buy/farm tokens or craft these runes? Or can we use any alternative runes for these slots?
Thank you in Advance.

They aren't only from the token vendor, they're world drops and are fairly often on the AH for pretty cheap.

Return to “Guides”